The first PLL Summit was held in conjunction with the 2010 annual meeting of the American Association of Law Libraries on Friday, July 9 and Saturday, July 10, 2010. PLL President Kate Martin convened the summit to focus PLL resources on the opportunities presented by the changes blowing through the legal industry. The Summit was coordinated by a Blue Ribbon Committee of PLL members.
The two-year project included –
- Webinars that investigated relevant discussion topics throughout the year and provide perspective and background on topic (4-5 sessions).
- A day-and-half PLL-SIS Summit at the 2010 AALL annual meeting in Denver CO.
- A program during the Denver meeting encapsulating the findings of the Summit.
- Creation of a white paper on trends and best practices to meet new law firm challenges.
- Production of articles and programs based on the findings of the Summit and the year of information-gathering and research in venues such as the American Bar Association and the Association of Legal Administrators.
- Program at 2011 annual meeting in Philadelphia detailing success stories of the project.
For more information, follow these links:
- Day-and -a-half program at the 2010 Denver annual meeting.
- Provocative keynote speakers on law firm trends.
- Case studies of libraries that have faced similar change — news and accounting libraries.
- Breakdown into groups discussions of lead topics to decide on major trends and best practices.
- Review of discussion groups to full summit
- Honing practical skills — writing persuasive memo, understanding C-level people and their issues, negotiating positive outcomes.